Thursday, February 02, 2006

Patchwork coin purse & artisan breads

This little zippered pouch is a great way to use up lots of my little leftovers. I used some Amy Butler fabrics, some chambray, and some ribbon. The back is the same fabric seen here on the left.

I have been wanting to learn how to make better breads--I love the artisan breads from Panera! So, I've been reading Amy's Bread book, which is really good, and today I started dough for some raisin bread. I've learned quite a few things from her book that I didn't know--
~to improve your results weigh the ingredients,
~temperature is important as a cool rise gives the loaf a moister interior and a chewy texture,
~steam in the oven makes for a great crust,
~autolyse (a rest period for the dough) results in a better dough

The dough is rising now til around noon, then I'll make the loaves and let them rise again. Once baked, I'll let the taste testers at 'em and see what they think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment--I love reading each and every one! I will try to answer any questions you have in the comment section. Due to the amount of spam, I am sadly no longer able to accept Anonymous comments....Kindly, Deb

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails