Thursday, June 15, 2006

Summer Corner Ideas

I usually do Corners of my Home on Thursday, but today I am calling it Summer Corner Ideas as Clarice at Storybook Woods is collecting ideas that bring summer into your home. One way I bring summer in is with flowers.
I went out this morning and cut some peonies and decided to put them with some lady's mantle ~ alchemilla mollis. I love this plant which gets sprays of tiny chartreuse blossoms. I discovered it when I read English Cottage Gardening by Margaret Hensel, with a forward by Tasha Tudor, whose gardens are included. This is my favorite gardening book and has given me tons of inspiration!


I stuck the flowers in a tin can and decided I liked the look.
Another 'summery idea' is a bird cage ~ this is a garage sale find which I repainted. Inside I stuck an abandoned bird nest, a feather, and my 'bird', which is a softie sewn out of damask.

Just another view of the flowers next to my rocker...

Idea #3 ~ This little cabinet came from a garage sale and had a wood panel in the door. I took the panel out and put some glass in and painted the cabinet. Now it holds all kinds of nature finds ~ abandoned bird's nests & eggs, feathers, pinecones, sand dollar, etc.
A closer view of the contents...
Idea #4 I added some sand to this glass container and added a vanilla scented candle ~ simple and summery.
A great idea Clarice! I can't wait to see what everyone has to share.

14 comments:

  1. Debbie, all of the ideas you've shared are truly lovely ones. Flowers are my favorite decoration in every season. I really like your birdcage idea...especially with the bird being a handcrafted one. Your nature cabinet is a marvelous idea! I've told you this before, I know, but I really appreciate your taste in things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love every idea. I really like the birdcage with your softie in such a lovely ivory. Gorgeous flowers, gorgeous arrangements...I, indeed, feel very summer-ized. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's also very pretty seeing your outdoor flowers by looking through the birdcage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful. I loved the birdcage too and the flowers so simple yet stunning. You have made some really good finds into really great pieces. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty pictures. You have a great decorating style!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful Debbie, I love everything. I think the can holding the flowers is charming !!! Love your bird cage. Nature cabinet, brilliant. Very Charlotte Mason !!! I really like the clean look of the candle in the glass container !! Thank you for these wonderful idea. I love to see us all share ideas. Love Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas...and thank you for the inspiration!!! Love the flowers in a very simple tin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely things and furniture! I really love the cane chair and the little stool. I really want a stool like that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your house looks really light and airy. The bird cage s brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debbie, you have such a lovely home. I love visiting your site because you always have such wonderful decorating ideas. Thanks for sharing with us and "keep them coming!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your flowers and decorating ideas are just lovely! I enjoy coming to your site for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, everything is so summery!! I had a tiny Lady's mantle a few summers ago but it got too hot. I read in a book that the drops of water that stick on their leaves are fairy diamonds. Your flowers are just beautiful!

    Your nature cabinet is such a good idea. You did a great job placing things inside!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful!

    Even the tin can.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment--I love reading each and every one! I will try to answer any questions you have in the comment section. Due to the amount of spam, I am sadly no longer able to accept Anonymous comments....Kindly, Deb

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails