Thursday, September 28, 2006

corners of my home & more

Although I didn't actually plan to, it seems I've taken a blogging break ~ I can't believe I haven't posted in almost a week. After a little bit of rain last weekend, we've had some really nice fall days which I've taken advantage of to work outside. One morning I spent cleaning out my front flower bed and several days were spent painting more exterior doors and shutters. Today the rain is back with us...the best shot I could get for 'corners of my home' is this pitcher of flowers on the kitchen table ~ some white roses, pink dahlias, lavender, & catmint...

Over the weekend I did get the hat finished for my husband...

So far, I have loved any yarn that I have ordered from KnitPicks. For this hat I used 'Main Line' which is 75% pima cotton and 25% merino wool ~ it has a beautiful soft feel to it. It's perfect for my husband who does not care for wool.

Lastly, I thought I would share with you some of my ideas for breakfast, which had become a bit boring at our house lately. Homemade granola:

Mix together 5 c. oatmeal, 1/2 c. dry milk, 3/4 tsp. cinnamon, 1 c. coconut, 1 c. wheat germ & some nuts if desired ( I love pecans in this). Sometimes I also add some sunflower seeds or flax seed.

Mix together 1/3 c. veg oil and 1/3 c. honey and pour over the dry ingredients. Mix well.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.

After baking you could also add dried cherries, dates, or raisins.

I have also been making homemade yogurt in my new Salton yogurt maker. So simple and much more economical than buying the little cartons, and less sugar!! I love to have a bowl of it with some fresh fruit and granola sprinkled on top.

And something I haven't made in ages...crepes. I cooked some the other morning and we ate them with some fresh peaches and a little whipped cream ~ heavenly!!

What is a favorite for breakfast at your house?

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:29 PM

    Such pretty flowers!! Flowers near the end of summer are always more...more...not finding the word I want. Spectacular, maybe?

    Your husband's hat turned out great. We've bought several different types of Knit Picks yarn here and are very happy with all of it so far. Can't beat their prices!!

    Thanks for the reminder to make homemade granola!! I haven't made that in a couple of years! What a great fall recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that funny, I plan to make granola today. It's part of my welcome to spring as we don't eat granola through the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flowers look so pretty and your husband's hat looks great! Very manly. :)

    Tim would like to make yogurt. I may have him take a look at this machine. It's hard to find good yogurt. I love yogurt with crunchy things like cereal in it.

    I haven't had crepes in ages. That sounds yummy with the peaches. I'm not a big breakfast person. Tim likes it when I put oatmeal in the crockpot with fruit of some kind (usually too sugary canned fruit). It's all ready in the morning. I like it, too, though I doubt it's health benefits. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:01 PM

    You were missed, Deb! I really like the hat you made for your husband. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:10 PM

    My middle son loves to make (and eat) granola and since he's been getting up early to do chores, he enjoys having his favorite breakfast cereal on hand.

    I've had a Salton yogurt maker for years. Aren't they just the BEST?

    One of our favorite breakfasts is cornbread (make in the cast iron skillet) with honey. Sometimes I serve it with a side of bacon and lots of milk to drink alongside.
    ~Jody

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment--I love reading each and every one! I will try to answer any questions you have in the comment section. Due to the amount of spam, I am sadly no longer able to accept Anonymous comments....Kindly, Deb

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails