Thursday, June 07, 2007

~planting time~


Summer is here and my computer/posting/commenting time has dwindled to almost nothing. We have been having beautiful weather, and after our too long winters we try to take advantage of each day, often not coming inside til dusk, and even then I like to sit on the porch glider til the mosquitos force me inside.

Memorial Day weekend is the big planting weekend around here. We planted our vegetable garden with peas, beans, radishes, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, peppers, cucumbers, pumpkins and gourds...

...with some sunflowers along the back. Not much to see yet, but some recent rain should get it all off to a good start... Some of the strawberries are beginning to turn red. This spring, in front of the raised strawberry bed, I planted a new patch. I found the idea in Mary Jane's Ideabook~Cookbook~Lifebook. I laid out black landscaping fabric and covered it with straw...twice actually since a strong wind blew the first batch away...then I cut little X's in the fabric and planted 'volunteers' that were growing outside of the raised bed. So far they are doing great, and if it works it will save me hours of weeding! In the very front are some sunflowers that came up from last year's seed and I transplanted...
The rose bushes in front of the hens' yard are in bloom and the smell is heavenly...
Hope you're having a great June so far!

17 comments:

  1. I loved seeing 'June' in your part of the country! I especially love the photo of your chickens and the pretty rose! Keep the photos coming! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:26 AM

    I love the look of your garden, even though it's just getting started. So clean and fresh and promising!

    We have several commercial strawberry farms around us and they plant their plants just as you have done your volunteers. I'm sure your berries will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I planted my garden a week later, we'll have to keep each other informed on the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look how the Hens came to the Fence to see what you were up to! :) That is too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:25 AM

    I so enjoy gardening pics, and yours are beautiful! And I love seeing a trellis. What do you usually have climbing on yours?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely June you are having, Deb!! I would be spending every minute outdoors enjoying it too!!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:57 PM

    I love Mary Jane! I usually check into her message boards about once a week. They're all such nice women. You have such a huge garden - I really enjoy seeing your pictures. You know I have chicken envy!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, you know I'm a sucker for pictures that have horses. I really did like the photos. You have a very beautiful place. Hope you have a wonderful and blessed June.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your farm is gorgeous! With your horses out in the field & your beautiful gardens, I can see why you want to stay outside until dusk. Your veg garden sounds wonderful. You've planted all my favourites :-}. Have a great weekend Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have been working hard! Feels great to accomplish so much tho. Love the shrub roses! I've always wanted some of those. Have a great weekend1

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have been very busy. I love fresh fruits and vegi's.I bet you can't wait for your first harvest. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Deb - you've made me homesick for our old garden! We had a big garden patch like that, and we loved it! I am enjoying these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The rose bushes looks lovely!
    Lovely country pictures, makes me dream of my own house at the countryside...wake up! Hehe..
    It is not strange that you spend more time in our garden or outside at this time of the year, i do the same, and i don`t have that much time to keep in touch with my blogfriends. Sorry about that!
    2 weeks from now we are going home to Norway again so i have much to do. But i will pass by from time to time! I wish you a lovely weekend at the beautiful countryside, enjoy it! Love from Aina :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your garden is so pretty. My husband set out a few tomatoes, cukes, squash and some peppers.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just LOVE the book Deb!! I use it all the time! I wish you also a lovely evening, hug :)

    ( good of you to recognize it!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't spring just the best time? I love planting and seeing all the new buds coming on. That rose bush is HUGE!
    ~Jody

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment--I love reading each and every one! I will try to answer any questions you have in the comment section. Due to the amount of spam, I am sadly no longer able to accept Anonymous comments....Kindly, Deb

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails