Tuesday, February 04, 2014
leather coat to leather bag project
It's been almost a year since I mentioned my hope of creating a bag from a thrifted leather coat...and, after a bit of trial and error, here is the result.
What's left of the coat is shown in the top picture. The sleeves and back yielded the best pieces of leather. Some of the coat seams were incorporated into my design. I added some long horizontal zippers--one front and one back--to join a sleeve piece and a jacket-back piece of leather to form both the front and back of the bag. I also used some narrow bands of leather to form the top strip and inner facing.
Brass rectangular rings, buckle, and rivets, that I had on hand, were used for the strap--the strap is a thrifted Gap leather belt.
I'm fairly sure that the lining fabric is a Kaffe Fassett print; I've been hanging on to it for years, waiting for just the right project.
The leather coat was on sale for $5, and I think the leather belt was $1; so, even adding in the zippers, hardware, and lining, I would guess I have spent less than $20 to create a leather bag for myself. Deconstructing the coat was tedious, and stitching through the leather seams was a challenge, but overall I'm glad I gave it a try.