Tuesday, January 31, 2012

vintage planner/journal tutorial

Because of interest in my French Lesson
Book Planner, made from an old book,
I'm going to show you here
how I made it.
I have even made a few improvements
upon my original method.
~
Here's what you will need:
  • vintage book
  • scissors
  • pencil
  • drill + bit or hole punch or awl
  • edited 2/1/12--1/4" eyelet kit
  • hammer
  • 1" {or larger} book rings
  • acid free rubber cement
  • spray glue
  • decorative papers
  • paper cutter
  • hole punch
1.  Find an interesting old book, something
you love, and don't worry if it's a bit
tattered,
that just adds character...


2.  Very Carefully cut the bound pages
away from the cover.  I've found
that a small pair of pointy scissors works well...



3.  On each cover make marks where you would like
the holes for the book rings.
The distance will all depend upon what you
are putting inside...store-bought planner pages?
...or something you will be punching yourself? 
Just make sure that cover holes
and page holes will all match up--very important...



4. The holes could be punched with an awl,
or a paper punch, but I've found out that
a drill works great.
I matched the bit to the eyelet opening
and drilled the holes using a drill press;
an ordinary drill should work as well...


5.  If you would like to use some decorative
paper on the inside covers, now is the time.
I used spray glue to adhere some scrapbooking
paper...


6.  To reinforce the holes, which I've found is a good idea
{though not absolutely necessary},
insert eyelets following the package
instructions...

Just a couple more steps...see you tomorrow
for Part II,


Deb

24 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this! Quick question -are eyelets and grommets the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they seem to be the same--I found Dritz eyelets at Joann Fabrics and Michaels in the sewing notions section.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous4:41 PM

    And for us "we will cut ourselves" folks, maybe you could sell some of these beauties in your shop. I will certainly buy;-)

    blessings, jilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have a few planners & journals available soon ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I love this! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, thank you for this, Deb.
    These are very clear instructions and I'm looking forward to Part 2.
    I really loved your planner and I can't wait to make one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait for the rest of the instructions- I want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for posting this! I just loved your planner! Can't wait to see Part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:30 AM

    I'm definitely doing this! This will make great gifts for close family and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a neat idea....all these fun ideas are running through my brain now...like taking a vintage cookbook and putting all your own recipes in it...endless possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:05 PM

    YaY!!!!! thank you so much for posting this!!!!!!
    Cheers to you :)

    I love that cookbook idea also :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot wait to make one of these! GREAT idea on the cookbook!! Cant wait for part two! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to try this! Thanks for the tutorial. And I'll be knitting from your waffle washcloth soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to get started. We live in a rural area and there isn't a fabric store. I will go to my next best friend, the hardware store for the grommets. Now I know what everyone will be receiving for gifts this year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Calico Hen, I've made lots of the waffle dishcloths...easy and so pretty! I can't wait to make the journal, too. I'm going to make one for my gardening, with pocket pages for seed packet labels for the planting months, and pockets for tree and shrub tags with receipts attached for easy returning to Home Depot or Lowes if they don't make it through the year. Oh, the possibilities are endless!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous12:07 AM

    Thank you! Thank you! This is just what I needed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Garden Gal, I love your garden journal idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous12:04 PM

    I'm so pleased to hear you'll have some in your shop, I'm not a do it yourselfer! Would you ship to the United Kingdom? Do say yes!
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, I would be happy to--I've just posted the books today on the blog...Deb

      Delete
  17. My daughter and I started this project today. We had fun scouring second hand book stores for pretty covers a few weeks ago.. The glue (part 2) is drying. now to have fun with the inside pages. The book I am making is called "Modern Home Laundrywork", so I need to turn it into some sort of home organizer. I was so excited about getting started that I haven't a proper plan for the inside pages yet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Where would I find a continuation to this project please?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment--I love reading each and every one! I will try to answer any questions you have in the comment section. Due to the amount of spam, I am sadly no longer able to accept Anonymous comments....Kindly, Deb

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails