Thursday, April 10, 2014

chair covers, guinea hens, and pottery

  
 
 The other morning, as I was briskly walking the treadmill in the basement, out of the corner of my eye I realized that some one or thing was outside the window...my heart would have raced had it not already been over exerted from the exercise.  I was relieved to see it was only a few guinea hens from next door peering in at me, and who when they saw me, sounded the alarm--hard to describe the sound but it's very loud.
When I came upstairs, Fluffy was most upset about the intruders and was giving them a piece of her mind...
 
 
 
 After a long cloudy winter, we are loving the sunshine.  It has, however, brought to light the fact that some household freshening up is in order.  Now that the couch is finally slipcovered, I decided to recover the seats on our kitchen chairs.  Unbelievably I could not find a Before picture, but they were covered in a natural-colored linen.  The linen had been on for several years and was starting to look a bit worse for the wear.  I decided to go with something a little more bold and easier to clean...
 

 The fabric is Swavelle/Mill Creek Indoor/Outdoor Finnigan Stripe Tuxedo from Fabric.com.  Although I'm not a fan of polyester, this fabric is stain and water resistant and spills can be wiped up with soapy water...time will tell, since spilling here is only a matter of time.
 
While we're in the kitchen, I want to show you the little pitcher I found at the thrift store...
 
 
I only recently found out about this Polish stoneware from Boleslawiec, Poland.  The patterns and colors are gorgeous...I can't believe I never knew it existed!  So, when I was wandering through Goodwill with my 50% off coupon, I was happily surprised so see this deep blue, snowflake design pitcher which soon became mine for $1.50.  Never mind that the matching sugar bowl was no where in sight ~ apparently they became separated at some point in time ~ I love it all the same.

19 comments:

  1. Wow! That is an AMAZING price for your darling pitcher! That Polish pottery is $$! What a fantastic find :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a find. I have the lone sugar bowl to your creamer. So funny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, oh my goodness--now what are the chances of that?! :)

      Deb

      Delete
  3. I have a big bowl and nothing else! I LOVE that pottery from boleslawiec too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently saw a large bowl at The Christmas Tree Shop in our area--I would have loved it, but resisted!....someday...
      Deb

      Delete
  4. I had to laugh about the guinea hens. I once had something similar happen, except it was a squirrel and I think I ended up scaring him far more with my screaming. :-)I love the new chair seats. They remind me of the bold stripes I keep seeing in fashion this season. I had never heard of the Polish stoneware, but it is beautiful.

    I always love to read what you post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep thinking one day I will find Polish Pottery at the Goodwill....so far no such luck! I love my Polish Pottery....which I have paid full price for....which makes me qualified to tell you Goodwill had no idea!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you have a Marshalls or TJMaxx nearby - occasionally they will have pieces of the Polishware for good prices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those chair covers are stunning Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:37 AM

    beautiful chair covers and the little jug is stunning, that was a great find!!! I love the shot of the dog looking out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The new chair covers are stunning; don't recall ever seeing your kitchen dining set before. The Polish pitcher is very nice, love the snowflakes and what a deal. I have 2 pieces of this stoneware that I purchased (at full price) at a little country store near Nelsonville, OH where my grandson goes to college. I use them as candy dishes.
    Thank you for the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the new upholstery on the chairs. It is very striking.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "a little more bold" was a perfect choice . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just came a store which specialized in tons of this pottery. I have 2 pieces, a gift, but the budget wouldn't stretch far enough for a new piece. What a buy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your pitcher! I've been collecting Polish Stoneware for a couple of years and have been lucky twice to find a piece at estate sales for good prices. I am aware there are knock offs of Polish Stoneware so am careful about checking the stamp on the bottom before buying. Although spendy, I treat myself to a new piece of pottery each year from a local Polish Stoneware shop. All the different patterns blend beautifully on a table.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment--I love reading each and every one! I will try to answer any questions you have in the comment section. Due to the amount of spam, I am sadly no longer able to accept Anonymous comments....Kindly, Deb

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails