Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Easter





 
 
Last week was busily spent cleaning, cooking, and baking in preparation for Easter.  Did you know that "According to an ancient tradition the three days after Palm Sunday are devoted in many places to a thorough cleaning of the house, the most vigorous of the whole year."   {from a great article found online here.}
 
I tried some new recipes from The Gourmet Cookbook , which after borrowing from the library, I decided I needed to buy.  A used copy was found online for a good price, and I tried the baked eggs and mushrooms in ham crisps for our brunch.  {Very good, except I overcooked them just a bit...}

Also, for the first time I made Placek.  Placek, which means cake in Polish, is a delicious coffee cake--more of a sweet bread really--that my Polish great-grandmother used to bake.  I don't have her recipe, but found 'Grandma O's Placek Recipe' online, which is quite delicious!  The recipe makes 4 loaves and any that are not eaten right away keep beautifully in the freezer, perfect to pull out and enjoy with coffee or tea.

Hope your Easter Sunday was good,

Deb
 
 
 


14 comments:

  1. Hi! I was attracted to your blog when I saw it listed on Harvest Lane's list of favorites...because of its name, since it's in the title of my blog name, too! I love anything homespun, old-fashioned, and/or primitive. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, welcome! I hope you'll visit often,
      Deb

      Delete
  2. Such a cute tea pot! I really love blue willow. Make the tea taste even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb! thank you for posting that! my grandparents were Ukranian and my grandmother a wonderful cook. This recipe sounds like something I would have eaten, since Polish and Ukranian food was so similar, if not the same.

    I'm on my way to making a half recipe, as I don't want to be tempted to eat it all! (or a lot)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine,
    I didn't see any directions in there for baking the placek...I baked my 4 x 8 pans at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes. Enjoy!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a lovely Easter Deb. The placek looks just scrumptious.

    God bles..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a lovely Easter celebration. Your cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cake looks wonderful!
    The cleaning was actually getting ready for the Days of Unleavened Bread, which follows directly after Passover. These days were still kept in the New Testament, and still kept today. The last day was this past Monday :-)
    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you--I'm glad you stopped by,
      Deb

      Delete
  8. now all you need is a boleslawiec plate to show off that yummy looking placek on! I've never made a placek but enjoy eating it.
    I like your eggs too... I have some similar.

    if you ever need to find polish recipes try this book, its very good and has authentic recipes

    http://www.amazon.com/Rose-Petal-Jam-Recipes-Stories/dp/0956699200

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the Boleslawiec pottery!! Thanks so much for the book recommendation--I've added it to my wish list,
      Deb

      Delete
  9. Hi Deb, that cake looks delicious. I could go for a slice now with my cup of tea. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment--I love reading each and every one! I will try to answer any questions you have in the comment section. Due to the amount of spam, I am sadly no longer able to accept Anonymous comments....Kindly, Deb

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails