Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Outside...




























It's been a difficult summer to start a yard.  We are in the midst of a drought, having barely received any rain for a couple months.  The sprinklers run almost daily, and we have a mixture of weeds and grass--a definite improvement over bare sandy soil.  I have started digging beds across the front of the house so we can get started on some landscaping.  So far I have a couple hydrangeas which I found on sale.  Achieving the gardens we had at our old house seems a long way off right now, but I am excited to get going.

























The vegetable garden has been planted, but most everything is doing poorly.  The soil we bought to fill the beds would seem to be the culprit, so I am fertilizing with some organic fertilizer, and come fall, I will amend the soil with compost and plant a cover crop.  I am really missing my old garden right about now.  Here is my current plant list:  tomatoes, onions, lettuce, green beans, broccoli, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, eggplant, peppers, strawberries, raspberries, and rhubarb.

The bee house hanging out back at the edge of the woods.
The queen anne's lace is all in bloom--one of my favorite wildflowers:





Also seen on our daily walks:




There is a small wooded area at the back of our land where some ferns are growing.  I am hoping to make this a little woodland garden...


























The blackberries have begun to ripen, so I am happy to have something to harvest...


























Thank you for following along ~ I hope you are enjoying Summer!

Deb


13 comments:

  1. I have every confidence you will eventually have a beautifully landscaped home. Do you have to worry about deer? I am so limited in my attempts (albeit feeble) to have a flower garden. There are very few flowers they don't love to eat. I had my husband fence off the forsythia and the esperanza and am thinking about having him put up a fence around the whole garden (even if it looks a bit tacky!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Deb, we know drought all too well, I hope your's breaks soon. The house is so D-e-b! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely home, a lovely start to your new gardens, and beautiful scenery abounds where you live. :) The weather is quite the opposite from here in central Illinois where we've had so much rain this summer that I can barely keep up with the mowing and it's so hot and humid (113 heat index yesterday) that the gardens are growing like a jungle and all of the plants are really loving the hot sunshine in between rain storms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have a lot of nice plans for your gardens, such a lovely piece of property that you are able to live on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have a lot of nice plans for your gardens, such a lovely piece of property that you are able to live on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden will soon be just lovely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lawn of grass is hard to grow - why not consider more of a meadow look with mowed pathways. A billion times better for the environment...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I hear you on missing your old garden! I too miss ours, the soil here needs SO much work, and starting everything from scratch is so time consuming. Its lovely to have a clean slate to work on, but sometimes, I just miss our old garden.

    One day, layers of trial and error build an interesting garden. You forget how much work you have done to the soil when you move and start fresh don't you? Its so disappointing to lose things, that you know you could grow with ease at the last place.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's all looking good, though! Our lawn is also a mixture of grass and weeds (mostly weeds -- oh yes, and moss). The woods surround our property and so we have many ferns and years ago my daughter made a woodland garden. The wildflowers still bloom yearly. We've never found that vegetable gardens do well for us here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have missed your posting but can understand you've been so busy with the new place. Nice to see how pretty your new house is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been missing your updates, Deb. So glad to see you're doing well. You're house is lovely, and I'm sure the lawns and flowers will be gorgeous in no time. Just like before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a beautiful home, Deb. Love the black window trim!

    Your yard and gardens look pretty darn good for a terrible hot summer with no rain. I feel your pain. My garden is doing very poorly and I have established beds. It looks like it's going to be a beautiful place to live and grow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful start to making your new house a home.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment--I love reading each and every one! I will try to answer any questions you have in the comment section. Due to the amount of spam, I am sadly no longer able to accept Anonymous comments....Kindly, Deb

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails