Tuesday, May 02, 2017

2 May 2017












Looking back on April, it is a bit of a blur...so much happening both inside and outdoors. The month started with a snowstorm, but as it progressed, we had some very nice sunny days here and there.  
Inside, I painted lots of trim and closet doors which Mike installed.  Then the weather got nice, meaning that there are pieces of baseboard sitting in the laundry room still waiting to be nailed into place.  We changed gears and headed outside--me to the gardens & planting and he to start work on a fence for the back yard.  
In the raised beds I planted radish, collard, and kale seeds...so far the radishes are coming up.  For cutting, I planted some glads and dahlias also.  In the flower beds, I planted peony bushes, hostas, lilies, lily of the valley, a clematis vine, as well as an Angel Face floribunda rose bush and a bridal wreath spirea.  This past weekend I went to a 49 cent perennial sale and picked up coral bells, delphinium, coneflower, saxifraga, rock cress, english lavender, and carpathian bellflower.  The plants were a very generous size for the price and I had to restrain myself from buying more.  
Last year we planted a lot of trees, so this year we have only added a Kousa dogwood.  I would love some fruit trees {the two we planted last year died}, but am not sure I will get to it this year.  
On the snowy/rainy/cold days I enjoyed time at the sewing machine.  I made up some drawstring project bags and zippered pouches for my firefly farm goods shop   as well as a vintage army canvas tote.  Also started reading Onward and Upward in the Garden by Katherine White.  I am continuously knitting dishcloths and am working sporadically on the cable knit throw for my daughter.  Once in a while I pull out a sweater that I started for myself, and which will probably not be finished for some time at the rate I am going. 
My next major project will be outside...if it ever stops raining...All the fence boards and posts need to be stained, as does the Amish-built shed we had put up last year.  I just finished painting the antique gate and will be back soon with some pictures.
Thanks for stopping by--I hope you are enjoying warm weather---are you working on any projects?

Deb

19 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I can hardly wait to get out into the garden and bringing plants home from the greenhouses.

    My fav perennials are delphinium and lilies.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie! Thank you for stopping by...Deb

      Delete
  2. Great to hear from you Deb!!! Your home and all the photos look just lovely!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katy, hope all is well with you!

      Delete
  3. I did some gardening last week before we got hit with the torrential rains and winds that we have had since last Friday. I leave for a three day weekend get a way with friends this weekend and I can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the same wind and rain we had. Hope you have a great weekend!...Deb

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to seeing your new garden. We had two nice days last week where I could get in mine and clean up, moved some plants. Still more to do, but lots of rain coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been dealing with lots of rain too, but today was nice and sunny so I took advantage of it. Thanks for stopping by...Deb

      Delete
  5. Wow, you are busy! Inside, outside, and hopefully it's all rewarding work for your lovely home.
    I just finished reading that same garden book and another one "Orchard House" that Christie Purifoy recommended. Love when we get ideas like that from other people.
    I've been busy in my work room organizing, and then a continuous job of putting photos into photo albums....I'm still old school with the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa! Yes, I love getting book recommendations online--how did you like Orchard House? My workroom is in desperate need of organization that I should get to--whenever I sew, it takes its toll. Have a good week...Deb

      Delete
    2. It was a nice book. She finally finds love in her family through her garden. She also likes "Community", I find mine in our church family, but we all benefit from belonging to something. She also has lovely pictures on her Instagram accounts.
      I know about the messes in the workroom, the projects take over the whole place, so thankful that I can shut the door!

      Delete
  6. I love your home :) Gerður in Iceland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gerour! You have a beautiful country--my daughter has visited twice, she loves it so much, and I have gotten to enjoy all the pictures she has taken....Deb

      Delete
    2. Thanks :) Iceland is a beautiful country, maybe to many tourist now ! :)

      Delete
  7. LOVE your blog. You make the everyday sound wonderful and that's a gift. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never fail to be amazed at your talents and your unlimited energy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Had you on my mind and came by to see how you are doing. Busy and inspiring as ever, I see!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops I think I signed out and lost my comment. I came by to see how you are. I've had you on my mind. I love your new home. It's so good to see you doing your thing...making everything beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Deb, it's been a while so I hope you're ok. I always look forward to your beautiful posts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment--I love reading each and every one! I will try to answer any questions you have in the comment section. Due to the amount of spam, I am sadly no longer able to accept Anonymous comments....Kindly, Deb

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails