Wednesday, January 31, 2007

cork stamps

In my kitchen I have a bowl of wine corks that I have been collecting for years. I just love the look of them, but have never come up with anything practical to do with them...
...until now. I was looking through 'The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks & Albums Made Simply Beautiful' by Gwen Diehn. This book has the most gorgeous examples of journals and scrapbooks and a lot of ideas of things to do. And one of the ideas that was new to me, was to carve stamps from corks so I gave it a try. I picked corks with the smoothest of ends, drew a simple design~star, spiral, dot, acorn, & flower~then carved out the background using my exacto knife...
I like the fact that the image doesn't come out looking perfect because of the imperfections in the surface of the cork.
Hope you are having a great day!


15 comments:

  1. Cool idea. Hmm...I knew I should have been saving those corks. Btw, I think they look lovely just sitting in the bowl, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:08 PM

    Thanks for passing along this
    "printmaking with corks" idea. Your designs look great! Now I know why I've been saving all of those corks...ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:22 PM

    Kew-ell!
    Now I know what I'll do with some of the corks I've been saving. We sometimes use them for science experiments, but this is more fun looking.

    ~Jody

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea, love the look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:58 AM

    What a clever idea! Now all I need to do is drink lots and lots of redwine :O) By the way, I've been lurking around here for quite some time now, and I thought it was about time to say: Hi! I really enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:23 AM

    Great idea! I have more corks than you would believe--you'd think that I was a drunkard from seeing all of them! But, I've been saving them for 7 years, so that is a little bit of an excuse....

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea. I, too, have an extensive cork collection. I guess it's a nature byproduct of winedrinking. I hate those new plastic corks they're using.

    I'll try this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clever idea, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE that book! It is one of my favorites.

    I've yet to carve into any of my corks yet.

    But, I now feel more inspired too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for commenting on my blog. These stamps are great - and a great excuse for a party,
    Jane
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a really great idea. I have lots of corks that I've been saving. I'll give your idea a go. They do look lovely sitting in your bowl as well though. It's a lovely bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! I used to have a cork collection too, but I've only recently given it away while doing some majoy editing. I love the texture of such things collected together like this. Corks, old wooden spools and worn clothespins in baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous6:51 AM

    Oh great idea Debbie and your examples do look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this is brilliant! I found a tup of over 100 beautiful wine corks and almost tossed them out this is the perfect idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment--I love reading each and every one! I will try to answer any questions you have in the comment section. Due to the amount of spam, I am sadly no longer able to accept Anonymous comments....Kindly, Deb

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails