Tuesday, November 13, 2007

sewing ~ good for the soul

It's been a gray gloomy morning, and I feel about as dull as the weather. Even my chores, which I usually don't mind, seem monotonous today ~stripping bedding, doing laundry, washing dishes~ as well as wiping down kitchen cabinets and the dusty top of the fridge, and steam cleaning some of the carpeting. I've lit a small fire in the woodstove to help dry out the carpet and I think some sewing is in order to lift the spirits!
One project I have been looking forward to was actually prompted by the picture of the stuffed birds on the front of Last Minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts. This book is on my Christmas list ~ I would love to own it!! Since I don't (yet), I am going with a Christmas bird pattern from Quick & Easy Christmas Bazaar Crafts by Jim Williams. This is one of the birds that I made several years ago...

These are the fabrics I'm going to use, which I think will be the perfect colors for the little Christmas tree I put in the foyer each year...

I am determined to squeeze in time to make these before Christmas (along with all the other works in progress), and will post some pictures.

Happily I have actually completed a sewing project recently...The design is from Lotta's book, Simple Sewing, and I highly recommend it. I found her instructions very easy to follow, and I really like how the bag is constructed. I made this tote for myself, but then felt guilty as Christmas is so near...so I have made it available in the shop.

16 comments:

  1. The fabrics that you chose to make your little birds from are lovely.

    I am going to take a look at the Simple Sewing book as the photograph of the bag looks just great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ordered the Last Minute Patchword book as a birthday present to myself...wish it would hurry up and get here! I really like the fabrics you're going to use for your birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The birds are going to look so good in those fabrics!

    I envy you doing some sewing. I'm still in such a mess, I can't even get to my machine right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your little birds and those fabrics are gorgeous! I love birds, in general, and I think I'd like to make some for my Christmas tree this year.

    That bag is beautiful. I just bought a skirt sewing book and I think I need to check out the one you mentioned. I'm always looking for new ideas, especially for gifts. Who doesn't love a new bag?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those fabrics are really nice! I'm looking forward to seeing your birds. The bag is lovely as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have the most wonderful fabrics, can't wait to see all the birds. What a great bag, love it. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where in the world do find the energy for everything you do? I could not keep pace with you on two of my best days. Love your title, sewing really is good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The little birds are so sweet and the fabric is lovely! Have fun!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:48 AM

    Hi! I was admiring your flicker pics, and I have to know the maker of the pink teapot with the wicker handle!!! I must have one!!! Have a lovely day!!! Marta iluvmypekingese@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marta,
    I checked the bottom of the pink teapot (which I found at a flea market) for any markings. It says Made in Japan, and there are two intersecting diamond shapes~inside each is the capital letter T. Hope this helps :)
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would you share your bird pattern?
    I don't know if that is possible or not. I just found your site.
    Thank you,
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would you share your bird pattern?
    I don't know if that is possible or not. I just found your site.
    Thank you,
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marta4:54 PM

    Hi! I was admiring your flicker pics, and I have to know the maker of the pink teapot with the wicker handle!!! I must have one!!! Have a lovely day!!! Marta iluvmypekingese@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where in the world do find the energy for everything you do? I could not keep pace with you on two of my best days. Love your title, sewing really is good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those fabrics are really nice! I'm looking forward to seeing your birds. The bag is lovely as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The birds are going to look so good in those fabrics!

    I envy you doing some sewing. I'm still in such a mess, I can't even get to my machine right now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment--I love reading each and every one! I will try to answer any questions you have in the comment section. Due to the amount of spam, I am sadly no longer able to accept Anonymous comments....Kindly, Deb

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails