Friday, August 28, 2015

building, sewing, life













After so much waiting to get the new house started, construction has begun and life has gotten quite busy...a welcome sort of busy-ness.  It's time to make many of the decisions that go along with building ~ lighting, cabinetry, flooring, siding, roofing material, etc.  The window order is being placed this week, and they should be here by end of September. Lumber will be arriving tomorrow so that framing can get started.  Today I've been trying to source exterior lighting; I have ordered some supplies as well to make some of our interior lights.  

We have also been trying to take advantage of our beautiful late summer weather by exploring nearby waterways with our new-to-us kayak.  We spent a couple hours paddling this creek last weekend and can't wait to go back and take it further towards the lake.

In the meantime I try to accomplish some sewing and knitting.  I used an army laundry bag that I found this summer to make a tote with a removable cross-body strap.  At tea time I knit and have added some new cotton + linen cloths to the shop as well.  

Have a grand weekend everyone!


11 comments:

  1. Yea!! Building started, you will be busy for awhile with that. Hope you get into your new home soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie--I so appreciate your visits and well wishes...Deb

      Delete
  2. I absolutely LOVE that bag! If I could afford it...I would *totally* buy one! You do such great work! :) I have never gone kayaking but definitely want to! I think it would be such fun! You must be so excited about your new home! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katy, thank you so much for stopping and always offering kindness and encouragement!....Deb

      Delete
  3. I am happy for you that your home is within reach. Good for you..it has been a long hard road I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen, I appreciate that, and I'm happy you stopped by...Deb

      Delete
  4. How very exciting that the building has started Deb! I imagine that the builders can work through to December at least (with the weather I mean)?

    What a delicious pile of cloths and of course you know how I love your bags. My Deb bag comes to the Farmers Market every week, carries my knitting places and occasionally carries groceries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose!! Definitely a later start building than we had hoped--we would like to have the windows in and be closed in by October. Then a lot of the work left will be inside...cold until the furnace is installed, but yes, the work will continue.
      I'm so glad to hear that the tote bag is still making its weekly trip to the Farmers Market!! Hope all is well with you....Deb

      Delete
  5. Happy to see things moving along! I remember (just 3 years ago for us) trying to make all of those decisions in one afternoon. Just a bit overwhelming - but fun! I know you will make great choices and your home will be warm and welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! I'm afraid I would certainly fail at making all the decisions in one afternoon--so many choices :) Thankfully I have a wonderful, patient husband, who is also the general contractor....Deb

      Delete
  6. I just started knitting my first dishcloth last night. I am very much an amateur and it takes me so long to knit just one row of purl stitch. I do find it very soothing though and will persist. Have dropped a few stitches and it looks a little dodgy, but its my first and I love it anyway. I love looking at all your beautiful knitting, I hope mine look as lovely oneday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment--I love reading each and every one! I will try to answer any questions you have in the comment section. Due to the amount of spam, I am sadly no longer able to accept Anonymous comments....Kindly, Deb

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails