Tuesday, December 06, 2011

I must have the nicest readers...


In my last post I mentioned my attempt at making
a Christmas ~ Plum Pudding
for the very first time.
This is something I have had no experience
with or had ever tasted until last
year when my generous British friend sent some in
a Christmas package...and it was so
delicious I was inspired to try making my very own.
Not too sure of what I was doing,
many of you ladies pulled through
and answered my questions--and more.

I have learned that puddings::
  • in Australia, are put in calico and hung,
  • some are served flaming, some not,
  • they can be stored in a linen press, larder, or under the bed
  • butter can be used instead of suet,
and they are often served with:
  • brandy butter
  • hot buttery rum sauce
  • hard sauce
  • thick cream
  • custard
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!
I appreciate it greatly
and will be sure to keep you updated on the pud's  progress :)

~Deb

5 comments:

  1. One further hint for a flaming pudding .... put brandy into a large spoon and warm it (lighted match underneath does the trick) before igniting it and pouring it over.  

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to try a real british plum pudding...i know it's too late for this year...but will be anxious to hear how yours does!!! 

    ReplyDelete
  3. sharron_harris699:59 AM

    not necessarily!

    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2715/lastminute-christmas-pudding

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pie Lady Pat6:09 PM

    Lovely and interesting post.  My paternal grandparents were from England and Ireland so I heard stories about special Christmas puddings.   Hoping you will post how your recipe turns out and share... the recipe, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mickle9:48 AM

    You can also store your Xmas pudding in the freezer. Sadly I can no longer eat them (digestive disorder) but they remain a happy childhood memory. I hope you enjoy yours with what ever toppings take your fancy - my fav was hard sauce a.k.a. brandy butter!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment--I love reading each and every one! I will try to answer any questions you have in the comment section. Due to the amount of spam, I am sadly no longer able to accept Anonymous comments....Kindly, Deb

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails